Sunday, July 20, 2008

Miracle Baby!

Have you ever watched the TLC show "A Baby Story"? The show follows a couple through pregnancy and delivery. It is very in depth and descriptive of the actual baby story. Well, let me tell you mine. I go into way too much detail and I apologize if it offends, its just the way I am and I need to keep a good record for future generations.

You already know that she was breech and even though the doctors tried to turn her on Monday I was scheduled for a C-section delivery on Thursday. Well, what you don't know is that Ethan gave me a blessing on Sunday night. In it he was blessing me with different things and he said the words, "I bless you that you will be able to deliver this baby..." (he paused here) "naturally." After the blessing we talked about why he said that word and he explained that that specific word was the only one coming to him. I told him, that more than anything the blessing gave me peace and even if I did have surgery, I knew everything was going to be OK. The word didn't get my hopes up, I was still fairly convinced that I was going to have a C/S. Is that because I don't have enough faith? I don't know, I was feeling like my faith was quite buoyed up actually. Anyhow, we went in the next morning and were unsuccessful...

Jump to Thursday morning. We needed to be at the hospital at 5:30 am so the alarm was set for 4:30. I, of course, got up at 4:07 to do what any 9 months pregnant woman does at 4:07 in the morning. I sat up and was feeling my belly and it felt a bit different. It wasn't as lumpy as usual. Even stranger was that it wasn't lopsided-I could see both my legs equally whereas before I was only able to see my left leg while seated. However, I didn't want to get my hopes up so I laid back down for a few minutes to wait for Ethan to get up. While I was waiting I was thinking (not getting my hopes up, remember?) that if she did turn my experience would remind me a lot of Abraham and Isaac and that the last week was my way of hiking up the mountain. However, when I sat up again my belly was back to its lopsided position, so I thought nothing more of it.

We went to the hospital and it started to really hit me. I did not want to do this! I cried a little, but then changed my thoughts and was fine again. Once in my room whenever the nurse was in the room I was fine, but when she would leave I would cry or yell or just say over and over, "I don't want to do this!" I was a wreck! They got the IV in, they shaved me, by the time they put the cathater in I had had it. If you've ever had a cathater, you know it is not comfortable! I was so uncomfortable and I was so upset, I did not want to do this! I hate not being in control of my body, I hate it! I felt like everything was out of my hands, and it was. Ethan, was so great during all of this. He just kept encouraging me as well as validating my feelings. He was awesome. Well, like I said the cathater just threw me over the edge and so he stepped up and said, "let's say a prayer." He offered the prayer and asked the Lord to bless me to be comforted and I'm not kidding when I tell you that as he spoke those words, it felt like the cathater fell out of my body. My eyes actually popped open and checked to make sure I hadn't sprung a leak! It was still good...miracle #1.



The morning goes on a bit and the anesthesiologist comes in to explain what my block will be like and what I need to do to make it work best. He was really calm and carried a peacefulness about him, after he left I felt more relaxed about the inevitable surgery. They wheeled me into the operating room, sat me on the table and numbed me up. They hurriedly laid me on the table and then strapped my arms down so that I wouldn't "try to help the doctors." My doctor and his colleague came in and they were getting ready to hand all the drapes over me when the doctor asks me if this baby decided to turn. I explained my morning feelings and then said I didn't think she had. He put his hands on my belly and said, "Ya, that still feels like a head." Then he moved lower in my abdomen and said, "Wait a minute, that feels like a head too. I know this baby doesn't have two heads...where's the ultrasound machine?" The nurse explained it was over in labor and delivery and he told one of them to go get it. After a few minutes it was there and the doctor had good news! Our baby girl had turned and the surgery didn't have to happen! HOORAY!!! Miracle #2



However, in fear that she would turn again, he wanted me induced immediately. He broke my water and tried to get it all out with the nurses pushing and pushing (I think I'm glad I was numb for this part). Then I was started on the pitocin around 8:00 am. I was numb for about 2 1/2 hours and it was actually great to regain the feeling (not to mention control) of my legs. Dr. Cass came in to check me before lunch (I think) and I wasn't moving along very quickly. So he ordered the pitocin to be raised to the point of getting my contractions between 80 and 90.

Its important for you to know that I had 2 nurses. One was a brand new nurse, Jen, who was training, the other was her trainer, Nancy. They were both very nice. Jen had a hard time finding my cervix and then estimating how dilated I was. Around 1:00 pm Jen was in the room with me and was checking my cervix. She guessed it was around a 6 or 7 and 80% effaced. I was starting to feel those early pangs of wanting to push, so I told Ethan I thought things were going to start moving along. I don't know how long I waited (maybe 15 minutes), but I started feeling more of that urge to push and so Jen checked me again, I was progressing! I was at a solid 7 and 90% effaced. However, the contractions were getting really intense. Probably another 15 minutes go by and I feel really ready to push, so she checks me and says 8 or 9 cm. I really need to push after this, but she keeps telling me I'm not ready and I need to wait. Another couple minutes go by and I can totally feel her head, so I say so...finally Jen goes to get Nancy (the trainer nurse, remember?). Nancy comes in and peeks in and says, "Yup, we'd better call Dr. Cass." Luckily his office is right across the street. He is there within a few minutes (all the while I'm saying things like, "She's coming!" "I don't think Dr. Cass is going to make it." "How many babies have you delivered?" to all of which Ethan said, "Do not make me deliver this baby.") As Dr. Cass walks in he says, "Let's check you to see how you're doing." Nancy then tells him that the baby is already crowning. He then turns around to put gloves on or something, I have another contraction and feel her head come out. Luckily they haven't taken the bed apart yet, so there is a nice soft landing place for baby because no one is at the ready to catch her. The rest of her slips out and Dr. Cass turns around and says, "Oh, the cord is around her neck, lets get that taken care of...Dad, do you want to cut the cord?" He mentions her turning somersaults and that being the reason for the cord, but no worries it wasn't tight. She was here! Miracle #3.



I felt so much better! They cleaned me up a bit, the doctor said I didn't need any stitches and then he said to Ethan, "You know, I just had this feeling this morning that I needed to check to see if she had turned. Its so rare that they do, but I just had this feeling." Miracle #4. I am so glad that the doctor was able to receive inspiration for the Holy Ghost!

She was a tiny baby (for me) weighing in at only 7 lb. 13 oz. and she had a bunch of beautiful hair. She has been a good baby so far. She is a pro at nursing already-what a blessing! She doesn't have a shrill cry. She likes to be held and cuddled a lot, though she may tire of it after living with her brothers much longer. ;o) She is going to be a lot of fun!

So there you have it, miracle after miracle I was blessed with a perfect baby girl, Eliza LaJean.

16 comments:

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

THANK YOU! THANK YOU!! THANK YOU!!!
What a BEAUTIFUL story! I am very humbled as I read it, because I know Heavenly Father blessed you and your family SO tremendously. I am touched by the beautiful name...for a beautiful baby girl. Yikes, I gotta go check the pictures! LOVE!!! Jane

Joni said...

WOW!!! What a story! That is amazing. What a blessing. I am so glad you didn't have to have surgery. That would scare me to death too. Congratulations! She is beautiful, and she already looks like she is yours. Can't wait to meet her.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

What a beautiful story and what a beautiful baby!

What a blessing after your up and down adventure to Texas!

Love ya,

DAD

Liz said...

Even a stoic like me couldn't keep from tearing up while reading about your miracle baby! Congratulations!

And I absolutely love that you named her after me!

Kim and Brindy said...

Kim that is so great. I had this peace all along that somehow things would work out in your favor. She is so beautiful and I can't wait to meet her. I am so happy for you both and love you guys tons!! Big hugs and kisses.
Brindy

Neil said...

Wow, Kim. What a wonderful Baby Story. I'm so glad she's here and that you didn't have to have a C/S. What a miracle! She looks different than I remember your boys looking--I love the hair. Congrats to you and your boys. I hope you love having another girl around.

Anonymous said...

Love the details Kim! Your story brought tears to my eyes. Eliza is truly a miracle and I'm glad you were so blessed during her delivery! Great big virtual hug!!!!

Shaillé said...

What a beautiful baby girl! And what an amazing story - wow! That's crazy no one was there to catch her when she came out. ;) I'm so happy that everything worked out so well for you - enjoy your new sweet baby!

Pebley Family said...

Congrats Kim!! I have been waiting to hear about the birth. I'm so glad she turned. You can tell she belongs to your family. She looks just like the others.

Cali said...

Congrats! I am so, SO, SOOO happy that you didn't have to have a c/s. She's amazing. You are amazing! I'm so glad that she made it safely--and that it all went so well. Congratulations.

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Kim hadn't posted the pictures when I posted a comment before, and then called me just as she was posting them...that's why I said, "Yikes..." The only problem with these pictures, is that it has "whetted my appetite" for MORE pictures....as in daily updates. That is what has kept me sane with Ali and Josh's kids, altho the yearning to be there does NOT go away! LOVE to a beautiful FAMILY! MoMMA Jane

Travis and Heather said...

You know that I already think you are super woman, but holy cow lady. You are just so fantastic. What a bounty of miracles that came along with Eliza, I read and re-read your story. It was so inspiring and just such a pattern of Heavenly Father's great love and concern for our well being. I loved it and will always remember it. Congratulations on your perfect baby girl, she is going to be one protected and VERY loved little lady.

Heather

Devin said...

wow! what a great story, thanks for sharing it. You guys are great. congratulations

(devin and susan)

Carrie said...

Yea! Yea! Yea! Congratulations! I'm so happy everything turned out well and went so smoothly. She's beautiful!

Alisha said...

What a beautiful story! I am so glad you had such amazing faith (I don't think I could have...) and that everything went well. She is beautiful!! Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I am so proud of you and your husband and family. You are all amazing. Ethan was given a revelation where Eliza was concerned. And you had the faith to put that revelation to the test. Thanks for sharing your miracle with us.