I understand that not all of you share my beliefs, but I'd love to share my feelings with you. Many of the messages can be applied to all, no matter what your beliefs. Please read these words with an open mind and heart, knowing that I love you.
During President Eyring's talk Sunday morning, I turned to Ethan and said, "This seems like a great talk, I can't wait to hear it." Our kids were being CRAZY!!! Although I did get a few things out of it that I really needed.
"Selfishness is the absence of love."
He explained the basic principle that the root of problems in family life are almost always centered on selfishness. I am a selfish person. Ethan and I have talked about how we really enjoy the kids and its quite easy to be a parent when we're totally focusing on them. It gets hard and tempers flare those time when we're trying to do something for us... or being selfish.
The above statement really hit me hard. I need to do better and I am committing myself to be more full of love. I also loved the statement that we need to pray that we can be loving enough that we will not see the faults in our partner. And we need to pray that we're loving enough that our faults will be diminished to our partner.
This talk was all about living our lives more like Christ, no matter what your religious beliefs, you can't argue that changing our lives to be more Christlike would improve our lives significantly. Only good can come from making those changes in our hearts.
I also really loved Elder Jeffery R. Holland's powerful message that
The Book of Mormon is a true Testament of Jesus Christ and the word of God.His moving testimony brought tears to my eyes. Joseph Smith and Hyrum Smith laid down their lives because it was and is true. I know that it is because I have read it prayerfully and sincerely asked my Father in Heaven to know of its truthfulness. I have felt the spirit confirm that Nephi was real, Alma the Younger truly did seek forgiveness and receive it, and most of all that Jesus Christ truly is the Savior of the world. He came to Earth and lived a perfect life, He sacrificed that life enduring immeasurable pain and grief so that I can repent and be clean. He honestly did break the barrier of death and was resurrected and he really did reveal himself to the people on the American Continent after his resurrection. I can not deny that these things are true. I love The Book of Mormon. Reading it brings me closer to my Heavenly Father and His Son, Jesus Christ. I am more able to understand their great Plan of Happiness, and thereby better able to live my life righteously. Elder Holland's words stirred a fire in my soul as the Holy Ghost testified that he was speaking the truth.
I am so thankful for General Conference where we get to hear such meaningful words to help us through this life. I know some of you don't believe as I do, but I urge you to seek out your Father in Heaven. He loves you and he wants you to be happy. That is why its called the Plan of Happiness. That plan is centered on Christ because the only way to find true happiness is through Him. As we turn our hearts toward Jesus Christ, we will find happiness. I know that to be true.
5 comments:
I love this post, Everything you said is so true! So true in fact I want to plagiarize! haha.
All of conference was great. I am so glad that we get to hear what the Lord has to say to us through his chosen General Authorities. They are all called of God. All of us after Elder Holland's word said, "What a powerful talk" When Rich and Kari returned from their walk they said the same thing. Heavenly Father testified to all that heard it that the Book of Mormon was a true testiment of His only begotten son Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Ghost. I am so grateful for the LOVE that He and the Savior have for all of us. And I am so grateful to know that the gospel is true. I know that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the Saviors church. And it does bring happiness to our lives.
I am thankful that you are my daughter. I am thankful that you married a wonderful man for all eternity. I love you all.
Mom Holliday
Thank you for this reminder of the feelings I felt as I listened to the talks. POWERFUL words from prophets. I picked up on that line about praying to not notice the faults in our partners. I've been quietly working on that one for some time. It makes a difference.
Love you and your beautiful family! Jane tmil
oooh I love when the fire stirs inside! I wish I could write a good conference weekend review, but I don't remember words. Just feelings.
I loved Elder Holland's talk too. The power of his testimony was felt in our home despite the chaos and craziness that was occurring at the same time!
Post a Comment