Friday, April 09, 2010

A Hard Dose of Reality

This is a post about emotions, weaknesses and mistakes... read at your own risk. I'm ashamed of my behavior but I feel like I need to record my experience. And maybe, just maybe it will help someone...

The past week has been trying. I don't know why, but it has. There have, of course, been great moments. However, it has been filled with weak moments more than I like to admit. Wednesday of last week is when it seemed to all start. I had expectations that weren't met and I let it get me down. I went to bed unhappy, maybe even angry. Thursday, rather than waking feeling refreshed and ready for a new day I was still brooding and the day didn't get better. By the time evening came and it was time for us to babysit our friend's kids I was at my wit's end. It seemed my patience had expired and was growing rancid. I wasn't very nice, but I didn't explode...

Wednesday of this week was the beginning of the end of that last statement. I was an emotional bomb waiting to go off. The fuse had been lit and every moment I was faced with something emotional I recognized I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stay in control. I was physically exhausted. To the point that people could tell and asked if I was OK. I had an appointment with my counselor that afternoon and he could see the exhaustion in my countenance. I was unsure if it was physical tiredness affecting me emotionally or emotional tiredness affecting me physically. Either way I was either crying or yelling throughout much of the day. I had no motivation to do anything around the house, I told my mom, "I don't want to do life today, I just want to stay in bed." I was feeling not myself and detached from everything, including my family. So, in my need, I asked Ethan if he would sacrifice his one night a week basketball game and sit at home with me. I just needed to feel him close to me. There is something in his loving embrace that just sucks the negativity away and refuels me. Because he loves me, I sat that evening in his arms. We watched LOST. We talked about everyday things. Nothing life altering, but it was. At one point he held me extra close for just a second or two and I started to cry. It just felt so good.

Thursday morning I awoke feeling like a new woman. I cleaned, I painted, I played and read with the kids, I made jam, it was turning out to be a perfect day. My kids weren't being perfect, but I was handling it quite well (much better than the days prior). Jonas has been lying lately. He doesn't want to get in trouble or he just really wants to get his way and so he'll say things that aren't quite true. I admit it was wearing on me, but I was handling it. About 4:50 pm I was making one of the last batches of jam and I had asked the kids to clean their rooms to get ready for laundry day (today). Bryant was doing his and Jonas and Levi were resisting. I wasn't too worried about it. I would help them when I was done with my stuff.

I wasn't worried about it until Jonas came in to tell me that Levi was cutting up his mattress. What?!?! Levi had my kitchen shears for some reason and was cutting stuff up in his room. He hadn't quite made it to his foam mattress, but the cover for it was in shreds and his pillow had been cut open with the filling all tossed about the room. I lost it. I spanked his little bum and I yelled and I locked them in their room. But I was able to go about my tasks and be a mom to Eliza and Bryant. Bryant finished picking up his room and asked if he could play outside. I told him he could. A few minutes later I had this feeling in my gut that I needed to check on the playing outside. Rather than thinking of my response to what I might find I just reacted and went outside to find Jonas and Levi had snuck out their window. This is the moment I completely lost control and was filled with a fury that was frightening to myself. I yelled for them to get back in their room, I smacked Jonas, and when they were safely in their room I screamed and yelled some more. Then I slammed the door, locking it behind me. I was shaking. I went to my room and jumped in the shower. I needed a moment to get control. But it wouldn't come. I had sent Bryant to his room as well and he was asking if he could come out. I told him to stay there (in not as nice words as those) but mostly for his own protection. I was scaring myself. I called Ethan, talking is a really good thing for me to release pent up emotion. He didn't answer. So I called the next person that I could think of that would understand what I was experiencing, my dad. I was crying, maybe bawling. I told him that I didn't know what to do I was just so angry. I was standing with my back pinned against the wall, afraid to move but unable to hold still. My legs were running in place. I don't know exactly what I was experiencing, but I know it was scary and bad.

Within a couple minutes, my sweet hubby walked in and was quick to wrap his arms around me. He had someone dropping something off at our house, so he told me he'd be right back. But that little act of his arms sucking away the negativity helped me get control. I went into the boys' room to talk to them. I was still a crying mess, but my dad suggested that it would good for them to see the effect their behavior was having on me. I said, "You know better than..." talking about the things they had done that were not right. I said, "I know better than to yell at you and spank you, too. I'm sorry." I talked about how things have been hard for mommy and how having a baby in my belly affects my feelings. When I feel happy I feel really happy, sad really sad, and mad really mad. I explained that we all needed to do better and apologized again, but let them know that I really need their help right now. Jonas had tears in his eyes at this point and said again and again, "I'm sorry too, Mom." It was a sweet moment, but one I wished we didn't have to have. I was able to go about the rest of my evening, as were the boys and I was hopeful that my counselor is right when he says that I'm not ruining my kids.

This morning as I was reading my scriptures I was so impressed with the chapter I was reading that, rather than going on to the next chapter, I read it a couple times. It was Alma 38. Its the chapter where Alma is talking to his son Shiblon. The first thing that I loved was in verse 2 & 3,
"And now, my son, I trust that I shall have great joy in you, because of your steadiness and your faithfulness unto God; for as you have commenced in your youth to look to the Lord your God, even so I hope that you will continue in keeping his commandments; for blessed is he that endureth to the end. I say unto you, my son, that I have had great joy in thee already because of thy faithfulness and thy diligence, and thy patience and thy long suffering..."

I was thinking how much joy I have in my kids. I love them so much and I do appreciate their love of the Lord. I appreciate their forgiveness and patience and long suffering with me and the mistakes I make. And I trust the Lord will bless them for enduring to the end. I was thinking the verses would be awesome as signs on their walls, to remind them of how wonderful they are and can be. The next couple verses that I loved were more what I needed to hear for myself. In verse 5 it says,
"as much as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials, and your troubles, and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day."
Like I said when I was talking of Conference, I don't have big trials like a lot of people, but I do struggle internally a lot. I put a lot of pressure on myself and beat myself up a lot. I really appreciate all the reminders in the scriptures to put my trust in God and it will all work out.

Then I read verse 12 and its applicability to my explosive reaction yesterday was unbelievable,
" Use boldness, but not overbearance; and also see that ye bridle all your passions, that ye may be filled with love; see that ye refrain from idleness."
I decided I need to print this out and have it in my view at all times. I think its interested that these three things are all mentioned in the same verse. I'll start with the end, "refrain from idleness" remember how I mentioned I was totally unmotivated Wednesday. I didn't want to "do life." That is Satan working on me. Thursday was such a better day because I was up and doing all day. I truly feel I was better able to deal with most things because I was heeding this counsel.

The next part I want to mention is "use boldness, but not overbearance." The cross reference to this is when Ammon is teaching King Lamoni and he boldly asks the king if he believes in God. When the king doesn't understand, rather than being overbearing, he puts it in language that is more on the king's level by asking if he believes in the Great Spirit. Through this bold move, Lamoni, his family, and many, many of his people learned the truth about their Savior Jesus Christ. I need to do better at this with my kids. Sometimes I expect more of them than is feasible. For example, I still have to supervise them cleaning their room.

And finally the most poignant to my situation, "bridle all your passions, that ye may be filled with love." I have remembered the bit about bridling your passions, but never given much thought to the latter portion of the statement, "that ye may be filled with love." That self-mastery is a way for me to be filled with love. If I can learn to steer clear of such rash reactions wherein I let my passions run wild, I will be more filled with love for my kids, myself, and my Savior. I'm not exactly sure how to do this (obviously), but I know it involves constant vigilance and prayer. Willpower is not enough, I need the Lord to help me to overcome this weakness.

And the final thought that left me with my jaw on my chest was this, Alma's counsel to his son to pray saying,
"O Lord, forgive my unworthiness, and remember my brethren in mercy-yea acknowledge your unworthiness before God at all times... And may the Lord bless your soul, and receive you at the last day into his kingdom, to sit down in peace."
I know I have a long way to go, but I love this little bit of teaching that Alma has given his son and therefore, to me. I hope and pray that I'm not ruining my kids and that someday I'll be worthy, through my loving Savior's atonement, to sit down in God's kingdom in peace.

21 comments:

aLi said...

Kim! I relate. I know the out-of-control feeling. I know that it is a phase. It sucks, though, to be in that phase.
Conrad is lying lately, too. I have had so many curse words DYING to come out of my mouth to say to my kids.
I'm so glad you have Ethan to help you.
I'm also so glad you have your blog to have some blog therapy.
I eat to cope with phases like the one you're in. And... that is my advice. :) Just eat. :)
Love you Kim. We should all live in a cul-de-sac so we could just all send our kids out into the street to play. The world's problems would be answered. haha.

JandS Morgan said...

I can always gauge how well my anxiety is by how I treat my kids. Once I start noticing a pattern of too much yelling I realize I need to up my antidepressant dosage. I have been trying vitamin D lately and it has been fabulous! You should try it, just get the 2000iu from Costco.

gaye said...

Kim, we feel your pain. I won't even begin to describe my mother of the year moments :) But, I really needed to hear the words of Alma 38 thank you for sharing.

Travis and Heather said...

Kim, you have 4 1/2 kids. Evertime I get discouraged and feeling overwhelmed I think of you and Cali. I know it seems ridiculous to rely on your courage to have, care for, nurture, and be there for your kids....but it helps me take a deep breath and say: PULL IT TOGETHER. I only have 2 1/2...and I already feel like a crazy.

Shiree said...

We have been having a pretty bad few weeks involving a lot of biting and fighting, and too much rain to go outside. I have had some very frustrating days, but I have been praying to have the anger taken out of my heart and to ask the Lord to fill it with charity. Seriously, I know He does it, because I couldn't do it any other way. I really couldn't. None of us can. What a great gift we have to know the gospel!

Sugar said...

Kim, somehow I thought it was just me that had those moments where my kids need to stay in their rooms for their own safety. I've been there in the moment of sheer and utter anger. I don't know how to do parethood any better than what you are doing. Trying in anyway to can to get better and be better everyday. Your not ruining your kids you are teaching them that life isn't easy and that everyone gets through it. Those are good life skills in the end. I envy you the outlet of a counselor more than I realized in reading your post. Your doing good work with those kids. Good luck hanging in there until the next one arrives.

kate said...

your post brought me to tears kim. i'm so sorry you've had some really hard moments this week. i've had some of those moments and i wish i could forget them, while also being grateful to remember them because hopefully it will help me do better. it doesn't help when our bodies and hormones have us feeling things in such an exaggerated way that it's hard to control. it also seems the longer i'm away from the temple, or conference or other calming events, the easier it is for me to lose control.

you are not ruining your kids! you are a strong, faithful woman! you are exactly the mother they need, and they are learning and growing just as you are. if we were perfect, how would we teach our children about repentance and forgiveness, and the great blessings of the atonement?

i truly am grateful that you shared your experience and your insightful thoughts. they have strengthened me and helped me feel like i can do better.

Joni said...

I have been reading a book by Emily Watts called "I Hate It When Excercise Is the Answer." In chapter 9 she talks about "motherguilt", the feeling that everything that goes wrong in our family is somehow the mothers fault. I know I have felt that way. Wondering how I can recognize motherhood as the vital, exalted, noble calling I believe it to be when there are so many times I find it tedious, repetitious and not especially rewarding. And then I feel guilty for feeling that way. I think we put to much pressure on ourselves sometimes. Emily Watts also quotes one of her "unfavorite" scriptures. 2 Nephi 10:23. "Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves - to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life." It became her "unfavorite" when she realized it also applied to her children. And it is just plain hard to live in a house full of little free agents. There are some things that we just can't control and we shouldn't carry around unnecessary guilt. You might get frusterated, you might get tired but when you shed the guilt, somehow the frustration and fatigue become more managable, and you start to recognize the joy that is intended to be the greatest gift of being a mother.

Jen Hancock said...

Oh kim...how i relate. I didn't realize how bad it was until when, in her prayer the other night, Rhees asked Heavenly Father to bless mommy that the baby wouldn't make her so angry anymore. The scriptures you shared were exactly what I needed to hear! Thank you for sharing and letting me know that I'm not the only pregnant woman out there that is going through these problems!

Grandma Hoss said...

Kim,

I am so sorry that you have had a bad time lately. You are a wonderful mother. I truly mean that. You are not ruining your children. They are blessed to have you as their mother. I am blessed to have you as my daughter. You are an example of righteousness to me. There are times that we do loose it, and thank Heavens we can repent. Even the Savior lost it when He threw the merchants out of the temple. I'm glad that you talked with the boys and they saw you cry. That showed them that you have feelings and they need to help you. I know that there were several times that I cried while trying to teach you all what was right. And that usually brought us closer. But you need to stop beating yourself up so. If you could only see yourself the way others do, and the way the Lord does. I greatful that Ethan can hold you and comfort you when you need it. He is a wonderful man. Dad and I are very grateful for him, because we love you so much. You have been truly blessed. And you have been blessed with those cute children of yours. Did you ever ask Levi why he was cutting up things in his room? I usually say a prayer in your behalf asking the Lord to help you with the kids every morning, but last week I just asked the Lord to bless all of my children, children in laws and grandchildren. I didn't break it down to special request and blessing. Now I feel guilty. I will try and do better.

I love you. Mom

Erin said...

I loved this post.. and I love YOU!!! I really admire and look up to how open you are.. I really believe that we all have those moments where we feel like we are losing it... (and I know that when I have kids it's just gonna get worse :) Thank you for sharing this experience, it helps us all realize that we are all in the same boat.. but I think the thing I LOVED the most was that you used the scriptures to find comfort.. I might not be going through trials with children, but I really appreciate/needed to hear your insights on Alma 38...that was really beautiful :) ALSO I love that my cute brother is so sweet and good to you, you are both so lucky to have each other.. I remember when I went and spent that week with you guys I really gained a lot from watching your marriage and how much love you have for each other.. it's something to aspire for :) Love you lots and lots and LOTS!!!

Vause Family said...

Well, you can't have a beautiful Easter Sunday without following it up by a trying week. Sorry you had a rough go. Please know you're not the only one who has smacked their kids or lost your patience or whatever. Love you!

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Whew! What a woman!!! Don't you hate it that you get the trial of your faith (or trial of your patience) the week following Gen. Conference...just when you have been all edified and lifted up? It's like Satan knocks our feet out from underneath us with feelings of incompetence while our beautiful little children are doing an outstanding job of being children.

You are normal and your kids are going to be just fine. Truly. This will be a funny story someday when you tell about Levi cutting up his bedspread and the kids sneaking out. Okay. It won't be funny. But it will be a story that you will tell your daughter-in-love when she bawls about losing control with your grand-babies.

You are doing the basics with your family and you are and will be blessed even more. Just make it through today. And don't discount the power of raging hormones during pregnancy and LIMITED pearls of patience. VERY LIMITED!

Thanks for the reminder that the scriptures contain the answers to our problems. I love you! Jtmil

G'pa and G'ma Woody said...

Kim, after I left your blog, I checked Ali's and her sidebar. This was a quote written on one of her friend's blog. I think I want to hang it in BIG BOLD LETTERS somewhere in my home to remind me of the unseen help we have...even when we are unaware of it....
this is good. LOVE YOU!!! Jane

"In the gospel of Jesus Christ you have help from both sides of the veil, and you must never forget that. When disappointment and discouragement strike-- and they will-- you remember and never forget that if our eyes could be opened we would see horses and chariots of fire as far as the eye can see riding at reckless speed to come to our protection. They will always be there, these armies of heaven, in defense of Abraham's seed."-Elder Jeffrey R. Holland

Carrie said...

Kim, you are doing just fine. I love this post, because you describe so well the emotions leading up to the times when we blow up. You can't be alone in the way you feel if so many women are reading your blog, saying "I've been there. I've felt that." But I love that you've spent the time to read the scriptures and share what you've learned, so we can all benefit.

Last week I slapped Marcus' leg when he was fighting me during a diaper change. THEN I said, "I need a time out," and let Brian take over for a few minutes. I wish I would have realized that my anger was starting to build and that I needed to take a time out before I hit him. In contrast, Brian found Marcus with a broken soap container in the bathroom on a particularly hard day with the kids, and he calmly said, "Carrie I need you to deal with this, because I can't do it without hurting anyone," and he left the room. I could learn so much from that man!

You're doing great, Kim. You are a wonderful mother, and your kids are going to be just fine. They're good kids, because you're doing everything you can to raise them well.

Jones said...

Kim, Kim, Kim...you are NOT alone! I have had a somewhat similar experience (where I scared even myself). I know that when I reach that breaking point I need to take a mommy time out. I don't care if my kids are on one side of the door while I am locked in on the other side. (I even punch my pillows and bed mattress sometimes!)

we're thinking of having a 4th child soon and it scares me to death. Young kids and LOTS of young kids all close in age can (yes be a joy) but also a big hardship.

I too have unrealistic expectations sometimes -though I DO believe in setting high expectations.

anyway, I think you are so brave when you share these 'real' things with us. You motivate and move me. It's nice to know that I'm not the only girl who is capable of turning into a 'crazy' mom ;)

And I'm glad Ethan is such a calming and positive influence for you.

Right now, I have been inspired to be more active -particularly with my kids (in teaching them more spiritual things) that makes a huge difference when you're not idle!!! that was a great reminder for me just now as I'm about to head into a new week.


...and thank you for those scriptures!!!

Kim and Brindy said...

Oh Kim you are such a beautiful person and mom!! I hope you know it's very normal...or at least I hope it is to be frustrated and upset because I have days like that too and I don't have near the plate you have!! Love you tons. P.S. you can call me and I would also understand anytime and I am a great listener. You are the best miss you tons:)
Brindy

Lori said...

i join everyone elses comments. thanks for sharing, i'm sorry it was such a rough afternoon. i agree with all the above comments: you aren't ruining your kids. you're doing a fantastic job. big hugs from GA.

Cali said...

Oh, Kim. I'm so glad that I'm not the only mom to have felt this way--you help me to feel normal!

I wish in some ways that being a mom wasn't so hard. It catches me off guard sometimes, how suddenly upset I can get, even over little things.

I love the scriptures you shared. I really think that if I would just take a few minutes every morning to study the scriptures that it would be easier for me to listen to the spirit during the day. It seems to me that you were able to do the right thing because of the guidance of the spirit in your life and home. Even though you were so upset, you were able to do what was safe and best for all of you until calm was restored. I so admire you, and have so much to learn from you.

Hang in there...there are always good days! And thanks for reminding me of how wonderful that personal scripture study time can be. Love you!

Shaillé said...

Thanks for posting this Kim. I have been really struggling with patience and remaining calm with the kids, so it helps to realize I'm not the only one. It helps me feel like I can better handle it, knowing that all moms are learning how to deal with it too.

Our experiences as mothers give us the opportunity every day to work on developing Christlike characteristics - that's what life is all about right? :)

Dave & Karissa Hardman said...

Kim,
Thanks for sharing so openly your situation. I can relate as well as everyone else that has commented. It is amazing how those emotions can come out of us in those frustrating moments - emotions we didn't even know we are capable of? - I have had so many - and pray for strength every day. I attended the time out for women at WSU back in January and gained some insight. One of the speakers advised us to pray daily for these specific things: (1)To be more gentle (2) more patient (3) more kind (4) and to have the holy ghost as our companion. I have tried to say this same prayer every day. And it has helped. The days I forget to say it - I blow up at my 3 yr old.
When I feel discouraged yet again laying in my bed after another rough day - I think of President Hinckley's counsel - which was "try a little harder to do a be better." Somehow I can always at least try to do that. I love you Kim! You are wonderful. Always remember that. Keep on Keepin' on!