I'm so glad Ethan was able to come home and post to let you all know we had our beautiful and perfect baby Bolton. Of course, I think I'll add my experience for recording purposes...
It all started on Tuesday night (my due date, June 29). Ethan told me on the way home from work he had a feeling that I was going to have the baby the next day. Wouldn't that be nice? I thought. I was making dinner for my family, baking corn bread, yum, while Eliza played at my feet taking things out of the cupboard. She got bored and went to play in the other room, leaving a plastic serving tray on the floor. When the cornbread was ready to go in the oven I moved over to it and my foot landed on the tray and slipped. My legs split and I landed on my right knee, pulling my groin to the point of crying out in pain and then breaking down in tears. To give you an idea of how bad my yell was, both Jonas and Bryant came down from watching their movie to see if I was OK-I knew I must've sounded pretty bad. Ethan helped me up and then I sat on the couch the rest of the evening. I talked to my dad and told him, "Maybe it will send me into labor." I did have some contractions while I was sitting, but I wasn't really serious.
Me, the night of my due date
Ethan had just beat me to picking them up, so I opted to do the grocery shopping instead. While shopping I had a few contractions that really took my breath away and they were still coming, between 6 and 9 minutes now. I came home and Ethan put the groceries away for me, what a sweetheart. The details of the evening are a blur. I know it rained, Ethan and the kids went out and played in the puddles and got soaked. I read my book and hid away in my bedroom. Around 8 pm, the kids' usual bedtime, I came out and decided it was a great time to clean the house. So the kids got to stay up late to contribute to the cleaning. We got quite a lot done, thankfully. We told the kids that Dad and I might be gone in the morning and after some questions as to who would be here, Bryant said, "So when we get up, if you're not here, we'll know you went to the hospital?" Right.
At 9:30 pm I called my friend who was going to come help with the kids and told her it might be the middle of the night because I was thinking I was really in labor. She, being the gem she is, was ready to go middle of the night and all. I read some more, tried sleeping a bit. When the contractions started waking me up around midnight I told Ethan that I was pretty sure I was in labor and that we should start thinking about when we should go to the hospital. I wanted to take a shower first and make sure everything was ready to go. He thought I should probably get ready to head out, so I did. At 1:00 am we called my friend to come over. She got here, we talked about a few essentials and then headed over to the hospital 5 minutes away. My contractions were about 5 minutes apart and they were quite intense at this point. I was feeling a lot of pressure. I asked Ethan how far dialated he thought I was, he guessed 5. I said I was hoping for a 6, but thinking I was probably at a 5. If I wasn't, I was going to be really, really disappointed. So Ethan changed his guess to a 3, to help me not get my hopes up.
We got to the hospital and the folks at the ER rushed me to Labor and Delivery as fast as they could. I was glad for the wheelchair as I could hardly walk through the contractions at that point. They took me into the triage area of L and D to see if I was really in labor. I have never been there before, how exciting! They hooked me to the monitor for a few minutes and then checked my cervix... I was at a 6!!!! HOORAY! The nurse walked out for a minute and I told Ethan how excited I was, I made it to a 6 at home! They moved me to a delivery room and started all the in-processing questions and paperwork. I could answer their questions until a contraction would come, then Ethan would have to take over. They were coming right on top of each other too. The nurse let me take a minute break while she went to call the doctor. She came back to tell me he was on his way to break my water. We tried to hurry through the rest of the questions and forms (my signature has never been quite so sloppy). Then the nurse checked me again, "Yep. You're complete!" Then to the other nurse, "Get that doctor here, call his cell phone, just get him here!" Within 30 seconds the door opened and in came my doctor! He started telling them what to do, the bed got taken apart, he got ready, they put my legs in the stirrups and then he asked me to scoot my bottom to the edge of the bed. The effort of doing that combined with the contractions I was having were just enough to push that baby out. I knew the doctor was there to catch him so I wasn't worried about it. I was ready. Ethan was completely caught off guard though. He still thought the doctor was going to break my water, I had to laugh when he said, "That's the baby here already!" Yep, I know babe. It was cute. We had a beautiful and perfect baby boy!
The kids did come to see him in the hospital, but we didn't have the memory card for the camera since Ethan took it home to post pictures already... but it was a lot more manageable to take photos at home anyway... they were super excited!
18 comments:
Absolutely wonderfuly fantastic. I read every single word, I just love birth stories!!! His little scrunched up face is priceless. So happy everybody is happy and doing well! Way to go, Kim!!!
OH my... he is just GORGEOUS!!! I always want you to post more pics.. but then I have such a hard time when you do cause I just want to be there :).. haha.. You and Ethan make absolutely beautiful babies, I have no problem with you having 3 or 4 more :).. hehe.. Love you!!
awww congrats! what a crazy/awesome delivery experience. i'm glad it was so much smoother this time, especially after your experience with Eliza.
Like I said, I'm a big fan of that baby and I'm a fan of his mom too! Great job! :)
LOVE the pics! Beautiful family. Congratulations!!!!
All I can say is "WOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!" You DID it! You look SO GOOD!!! That baby is absolutely beautiful! His name is perfect! The kids are so cute with him! AND WHAT AN ADORABLE FAMILY!!!!!
WOW! Your labor and delivery story ...amazing! You are quite the cool cookie! And the kids and Ethan played in the rain puddles....while you labored...is that so FUN?!?! And then you cleaned. Talk about taking it right to the edge!
I am so thrilled for y'all! Can't wait to come see this little guy and his family!!
Love, Jane the mother-in-love
Congrats kim! I am so glad he is here and that the delivery went so well! He's beautiful and I'm so glad you didn't have to wait to be induced! Congrats again!
Oh Kim! You are wonderwoman! Going that far at home!! Way to go!!! Loved hearing the details and seeing the picts! Glad you and yours are doing great!!! What a darling family!!! Congrats again!!
I can't believe how quickly you dilated while at the hospital! I'm so glad that he came so safely and "timely" for you! He's absolutely beautiful, Kim. I'm so happy for you!
Well, congratulations! That was a great labor story. :) Isn't it so ridiculous that they are asking you to sign things and answer questions while you're in labor. Silly hospital. He is a beautiful little guy. Congrats to you and your family!
Awwww, love it! I love the way you write your story, and I love the pictures. Especially the ones where his face is all scrunched up sleeping. So cute! Congratulations!!!
Wow, you're amazing Kim! I enjoyed reading your detailed account. :) Look at you guys with your five kiddos!!
Congrats! I can't believe you have 5 kids now. When I saw his picture, I immediately thought of Jonas- definitely a woodbury! :)
Good luck with your recovery, and best wishes for a good sleeper.
Congrats! I can't believe you have 5 kids now. When I saw his picture, I immediately thought of Jonas- definitely a woodbury! :)
Good luck with your recovery, and best wishes for a good sleeper.
I'm still blown away by your ability to do this without an epidural. Careful though that could have been a baby at home :)
Congrats!!! He is handsome. Hope all is well at your house.
I love reading your stories. You have a way a writing that makes me happy. I miss you all. Hugs & kisses from Grandma Hoss.
What a beautiful baby! And beautiful family! Congrats Kim and Ethan, (and Bryant, Jonas, Levi and Eliza!)
Love ya,
Lisa
Post a Comment